My list of mods and Chronology of Installation #ubitx

Daniel Conklin

  1. I ordered my uBITwX December 29, 2017 and received it on March 2, 2018.  It was a version 3 with the WX branded TDA2822 audio chip. By the time I was ready to assemble, Ron, W7HD had posted a fix using a voltage regulator.  This was my first mod and I have had good working audio since then. https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/44099

  2. The second mod I implemented was installing the KD8CEC firmware which was more intuitive for me and solved some issues such as keying responsiveness.  http://www.hamskey.com/2018/05/ubitx-firmware-cec-version-108-release.html

  3. The third mod was to add a short USB cable from the Arduino Nano to allow data access outside the case.

  4. The forth mod was adding the click-pop suppression kit from Don ND6T, Wayne VA7AT, and kitted by Kees K5BCQ. http://ubitx.net/2018/03/02/audio-pop-fix/

  5. The fifth mod was the RF output peaking mod suggested by Howard Fidel WB2VXW https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/46616

  6. The sixth mod was the ND6T AGC kit that I got from K5BCQ at the same time as the click-pop kit.  When I installed that, I used Kees’s installation suggestions for mounting it on the main board, added an RF attenuator/gain control as suggested by ND6T, and also hooked a wire from J1 to the purple analog wire on the Raduino to give me an S meter. http://www.nd6t.com/uBITX/AGCkit.htm

  7. While I had the board on the table I also changed R250 to 100K to reduce the sidetone level and replaced the C1 cap with a 1μF to shape the CW note. https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/51673

  8. Then I changed the relays to Axicoms  as suggested by Mike W0MNE, to reduce harmonics when using SSB on the lower HF bands.  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/60368

  9. Finally, I replaced L7 and L5 with SMT inductors as suggested by Raj VU2ZAP to reduce spurs on the higher HF bands.  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/27154925#60729

I am very happy with how well my uBITX functions at this point and have the placed it in a small Apache case behind an aluminum faceplate I fabricated.  The whole thing is pretty rugged and works well with a three cell 18650 battery pack. I finally have the spy radio I have always wanted. 73 and Happy New Year!  Dan W2DLC