Re: To shield or not to shield, that is the question.

Jack, W8TEE

If you don't care, a metal case is probably best so you can shield it. I'm doing one for my personal use that has a metal surround, but plastic end panels (easier to cut). However, the "display model" that we will use to show it off will have an acrylic U-shaped cover with an acrylic front panel and metal back panel (e.g., antenna, power, speaker connections). One of our book projects is an antenna tuner with "instant" readout of SWR on a TFT color display, which originally was in a plastic case. That project benefited from shielding, but we were testing it with 100W. We retrofitted copper foil shielding inside the case and that worked well. So, pick what looks good to you and if you think there's an RF issue, line the case with foil.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, November 24, 2018, 11:09:46 AM EST, Lee <mr.olson@...> wrote:

Some have built in metal boxes, some use plastic boxes, and some put metal shielding inside the plastic boxes.  Is it a ,should do, must do, or doesn't really matter at these low power levels.   Can you also explain why you made your choice?  Thinking about options for for my JackAl add-on new radio build.
--
Lee - N9LO  "I Void Warranties"