Re: One Month With The uBitx

Bill Cromwell

Hi Curt,

We don't need the "QRP card". Our license is as good as anybody else. In 1981 I took a Ten Tec Argonaut 509 (2 watts wide open) to Field day and used it as our 80 meter station on CW. It held it's own against the 100 watt stations :) A new novice licensee was put with me for logging and duping (no computers then). As the hours wore on he became quite proficient at CW as it is used in contest exchanges. By 2AM he was at the key and I was logging and duping :) 10 watts is 5 times the power of that 509 and a couple of s-units higher on distant receivers. Just act as if you belong on the bands, You do.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 10/23/2018 10:06 AM, Curt M. wrote:
Hi guys, last month I finished up the build on my uBitx. It's
completely stock other than using some outboard filters. I decided to
humor myself and for one month exclusively use only the uBitx. I have
to say that I'm impressed with the results.

With just casually making contacts I made 61 between 40, 20 & 80m.
Those contacts were in 18 states plus Slovenia and Belgium. Being that
the last month has had a state QSO party or two every weekend that kind
of increased the contact to state ratio but it gave me a lot of
opportunities to make some contacts when I could fit it in. At no point
did I sit down and spent more than 15 minutes trying to make contacts.
I think had I sat through a QSO party or two for an extended period of
time I could have done even better. Also I did not make one contact by
throwing out the QRP card, that made it even more of a challange. I had
a few contacts that I struggled with along the way but there were five
times more immediately successful contacts than ones that I struggled with.

During this last month I also checked into a bunch of nets. When
checking into one net during their 73 round the net control operator
asked me where I was located and what I was running becuase he said the
band was in such bad shape that day that they didn't have as many
check-in's. He seemed to be impressed with how I was making it into his
location on about 8 watts. He closed down the net and all of the sudden
people started throwing out my call sign to make contact with me. I
picked up about 4 new states in a few minutes that said I was making it
into them with varying degrees of signal strength. One guy said that I
was about an S5 but I was 10 over at one point while talking to another
guy before him. So that was a lot of fun.

So my take-away from this last month is that if the uBitx was your only
radio, even though it doesn't have fancy filters and all of the other
stuff like a mainstream radio does, you can still have a lot of fun and
make contacts. I will say that I missed having AGC and although the pop
when you key up is annoying, it's bearable. Both can be fixed through
various mods.

Last night I turned on my IC-7300 for the first time in a month and even
though it's a great radio in it's class, making contacts with less power
and not telling anyone what you are running unless they ask is really a
lot of fun. I see me getting use out of both radios but I was amazed at
how well the uBitx performed at less than one tenth the power.

73

Curt M.
--
bark less - wag more