Re: Stone Soup

Ken Hansen

He didn't say "it'sOK to violate FCC regulations, if you do not annoy anybody," he reasonably said:

1) the conversation on spurious emissions went over his head

2) he's only using the radio when the band seems quiet, so if he is spewing spurious emissions he isn't likely to bother anyone

Amateur transceivers are not held to the same signal purity standards as say a broadcast transmitter, and it is unreasonable to expect every ham to invest in sophisticated testing apparatus to constantly monitor their radio's emissions in real-time.

The vast majority of hams buy their radios from major manufacturers and rely on them to build s quality, properly designed radio that meets all spectral purity requirements.

A smaller, but not insignificant, number of hams refurbish older radios and put them on the air and make good faith efforts to ensure the radios operate within present regulations to the best of their inherent design limitations.

And then there are a number of hams that take a pile of parts and solder and conjure up a radio that they believe complied with all applicable regulations, but most lack the training/resources to prove their creations comply with all regulations.

The one thing all three broad groups have in common, is that if made aware of a spectral issue with their equipment, they make every effort to correct the issue. Every ham I know, and I feel I know a pretty wide cross section of hams, take pride in their radios and wants them to perform to the best of their abilities - I've never heard anyone say, for example, "I don't care about the second and third harmonics of my Chinese HT - as long as I can hit the local repeater I'm happy!"

The OP said nothing wrong, and shame on you for distorting what he said to give you an excuse to question him.

Ken, N2VIP

On Sep 5, 2018, at 10:20 AM, RICHARD <k6kwq@...> wrote:

So it’s OK to violate FCC regulations , if you do not annoy anybody? How do you know?