Re: stone soup ingredient list, what bands and modes are usable

Tim Gorman

Jim,

There is no easy way to check for splatter on an oscilloscope. You can
attempt to see if the rig is linear but it is only an estimation at
best.

I wrap a piece of wire around my dummy load and connect it to my scope.
If I need more signal I wrap more wire. Put the rig on CW. Vary the
drive (e.e. RV1) from zero till you see the signal display stop
increasing. Again, this is pretty subjective so you might be well
advised to err on the conservative side. Put a piece of masking tape to
mark the top and bottom of the display.

Then put the rig is SSB and adjust your signal output (using your voice
saying ahhhhh! or audio tone from your smart phone using an app) with
the mic so it never exceeds the marks on the oscilloscope.

This is the level at which you generate little splatter. If you
actually have a peak reading meter for your SSB signal and CW signal
you will probably find that you are putting out far less than 10 watts.

tim ab0wr

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 14:37:47 +0000 (UTC)
"jim via Groups.Io" <ab7vf=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018, 1:58:06 AM PDT, David Wilcox via
Groups.Io <Djwilcox01=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Does anyone have a simple method to take off the RF output from
these rigs and safely input it to a scope to check the splatter?  I
have a 60 MHz scope but don't know how to use it correctly.  That
might help some of us reduce the spurs until we can learn how to do
other mods. There are a lot of scopes out there to beg or borrow,
mostly just sitting there in a shack or at a radio club.  There are
two sitting at our club but few know what to do with them.  Sad
story. Dave K8WPE

Try something like this (google Alan Yates Laboratory in category
"test equipment"

Jim