Re: Stone Soup

Mark M

On 9/3/18 6:42 PM, Kees T wrote:
If "in the old days", enough people had access to Rigol DSA815-TG (Spectrum Analyzer and Tracking Generator) test equipment, NONE of us would have successfully built anything to get on the air and we'd all be "appliance operators".
We probably shouldn't feed the trolls, but...

I agree. I remember the 60's and 70's gear (I was first licensed in 1961 as a Novice). I'm sure those WWII surplus ARC-5 transmitters weren't very clean (I had one). All those T-60's (still have mine), DX-20's, etc, not to mention all the homebrew rigs built with scrapped TV parts on pine boards, weren't very clean either. I remember all the chirpy drifty stuff on the air (some of it relatively expensive commercial gear). I can't imagine that a bunch of uBitXs can be any worse. HF is probably more screwed up by the millions of non-compliant electronic devices we all have...CFLs, LEDs, multi-speed furnace blowers, leaky power lines, etc...than by all the ham gear put together.

That's not say we shouldn't try to be strictly legal but you gotta be realistic about it (FWIW, I have a set of QRP Labs LFPs that I'm planning to graft into the uBitX).

The uBitX got me back on the air...I've been on more since I got it than in the two years, not to mention starting to build stuff again. It's probably the most radio fun I've had since I built my last Heathkit. I've learned a lot from the folks on this forum, too.

Anyway, my $0.02 worth. As always, YMMV...

Mark AA7TA (WN9CJE in 1961)