Re: uBitx Unfiltered

ajparent1/KB1GMX

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 07:25 AM, Michael Babineau wrote:
This got me thinking that for another $20 I could just order the QRP Labs 5W PA kit and build a separate 160m to 10m CW TX with raised cosine wave shaping.
I do mostly CW anyway so giving up SSB wouldn't be a big loss for me.
Why use linear amp with lower efficiency for CW?  Class C can be shaped for keying and offer much mroe power with far less consumed.  However binding the two ubitx to a QSX amp is not easy.

>>Has anyone else thought  of just designing  a separate  TX board  for use with the V3/V4 ubitx? I know that this sounds like giving up ... but in many ways this could be a simpler solution than attempting major surgery on the existing ubitx.

Basically to do that you need to build a replacement fo the rear half of the board.  The problem is fourfold.
No input filtering for the amplifier,
The amplifiers inability to product power at 10M
low pass filter layout (filters would work otherwise)
Board layout.

Allison
We want a magik pill to fix is all.