Re: uBitx Unfiltered

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Well, it was a kit.

We all knew it was a kit.

I thought it might’ve been a better kit, but as it was, it taught me a ton about RF amplifiers,  about filters, about mixers, and about circuitboard RF design.

I bet I’ve gotten $600 worth of education out of it.

That was way more than I was expecting when I bought it!   I added about $12 worth of circuit board, relays etc., and I’ve got a rig that will work 80/40/30/20 pretty good.  Next on the list is one of those fancy transistors that I bought when Allyson mentioned them.  I will change out Q 90 and see what kind of power I can get then.  Change an emitter capacitor and make it a little more flat.  At that point it may do everything I want out of it.  If not, I’ve got a bunch of 2N2222 A’s to work on the driver stage.   Put a wooden box around it, and call it done!   I’ve still put many less hours into it than I put into my Heathkit HW 16.   And in 1971 I think I paid just about the same number of dollars that I had to pay for this incredible little learning tool.   Adjusted for inflation, it’s like I stole it.

If they ever find out how much good it did people like me, I hope they are magnanimous enough not to send me the bill!

Cheers,

Gordon

On Sep 1, 2018, at 13:45, David Posthuma <davep@...> wrote:

Jerry:

If it did come down to requiring a version-5 ubitx, I would hope there would be some discount to those of us who purchased version 3 or 4 with the understanding that it was a 80-10 meter transceiver, not just a legal 20-meter SSB transceiver with general coverage receive from 80-10 meters. I still hope a reasonable solution can be found to salvage the current generation of uBitx transceivers.

David A Posthuma, WD8PUO

1 (616) 283-7703