Re: New version of TFT Touchscreen based VFO-BFO for uBitx

Jack, W8TEE

Costs vary greatly with larger displays. One reason is because many of the less expensive color displays push the display processing onto the main processor while others use the hardware on the board. Also, many displays either do not support touch screens or there are no third-party libraries for them. Some displays have less resolution than others.

The display we are using in our forthcoming JackAl board comes in either 5" ($34) or 7" ($44) size, uses the RS8875 via SPI, has 800x480 resolution, and uses capacitive touch:
Inline image
By pairing it up with the Teensy 3.6 µC with 1Mb of flash, 256Kb of SRAM, and clocked at 180MHz, we can do DSP that many other processors cannot. (The photo shows the SSB in GREEN and its choices of filters have selectable bandwidths of 1500, 1800, 2200 (selected), 3000, and a user-defined custom (Cust) bandwidth.) We also provide about a dozen free !/O pins to play with.

Our board will likely cost more ($30) than a Nextion display system, but we think its features and horsepower will bring a lot to the table.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, August 25, 2018, 4:19:49 AM EDT, SP Bhatnagar <vu2spf@...> wrote:

Bob is right. There is some experimentation needed to use larger display. I have not tried any larger ones yet.

My main concern was cost, so never looked at larger displays.

73s
SP Bhatnagar
Vu2spf