Re: Harmonic performance - SSB vs CW

Howard Fidel

HI Asher:
Is that for both the harmonics and the spurs?

Thanks,
Howard

On 8/9/2018 3:01 PM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
Well,

1. Let's not make out that we are building a purposefully defective piece of gear.  these emissions have been uncovered by some after almost 9 months of this being in production.
2. As we tested them before starting the production, the emissions were quite under -43dbc. it can emphatically state this. this is also borne by the fact that some others hve tested the emissions  to be under control. look at Raj's scans.

I have been trying to scan the past mails to know exactly where the harmonics were. Can someone show me the spectrum analyzer results as screenshots?

- f

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:12 PM, Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:
If you're using a desoldering iron, going from the underside you also get the help of heat rising.

Vince - K8ZW.

On 08/09/2018 01:15 PM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
Lead is heavy.
I clamp the board in a vise and come up from underneath with the solder
sucker.
Use the solder sucker to pull the lead down from the board, not up.
Gravity is your friend.

Also, heat any through-hole pins from the far side of the board (the top).
That way you can get a good seal around the pin with the solder sucker tip.
You don't want to just get the pin hot, then quickly pull the iron away
and apply the sucker.  A fraction of a second matters here.

Removing through-hole parts from a PC board often ruins the pads,
they become unglued and lift off of the board.
Especially true if dealing with a 4 layer board (or more) with internal
power/ground planes.
That ChipQuik/FastChip stuff would definitely help here.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Clark Martin wrote:

    Solder suckers work fine when air can get in on the other side of
    the solder to blow it into the sucker.  But all too often the body
    of the component blocks that air flow.  And if the lead is a tight
    fit in the hole there will always be some solder holding on between
    the lead and hole.  Sometimes you can crack that joint loose but
    often you can’t.

    My original solder sucker was one of the smaller ones.  Later I
    bought one of those larger blue ones.  It does do a better job but
    as above there are still many cases where it can’t do the job.

    Clark Martin
    KK6ISP

--
  Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/