reverse polarity protection (ubitx.net)

Jonathan Washington

Hi there,

In wiring my µBITX based on the guides and notes available at hfsignals.com, ubitx.net, this group's wiki, and the like, I noticed a discrepancy related to reverse polarity protection.

I believe the diagram with included fuse by MVS Sarma at https://ubitx.net/ubitx-fix-reverse-polarity-protection/ has the jack wired in reverse (- tip, + sleeve) of the standard (+ tip, - sleeve).  I suppose wiring it this way could be a good way to test if the fuse will do its job!

I should note that this solution seems preferable to the solution(s) provided in W4RJP's wire-up diagram (v1.9) posted at https://groups.io/g/BITX20/wiki/UBITX-Assembly , where it looks like the fuse and the diode would both blow in the case of reverse voltage, and the reverse voltage would still flow through the µBITX.  In MVS Sarma's solution, my understanding is that only the fuse would blow, and the µBITX wouldn't be exposed to any reverse voltage.

Also, I wonder if Mike might consider adding to the reverse polarity page PH2LB's reverse polarity protection solution from here:

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems ridiculously simple, and reasonably effective.  I'd probably still want to add a fuse with that solution, though, to protect against accidental shorts.

Jonathan, KD5CFX