Re: End Fed antennas w/ uBITX #ubitx

Jack, W8TEE

I did see where that antenna (Norway??) was knocked over in a storm. I imagine that's going to cost a few bucks to get back up. My EFHW (the 8010 from MyAntenna) is really not bad, I just envy those who have a tower and rotatable beam. I've talked to Roberto near Milan Italy and he has a 40M beam on a 160' tower. However, he also points out that he's not even above the surround hilltops, so we all have problems, no matter what. I'm lucky to have tall trees, plus I'm about 700' higher than the Ohio river.

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, July 29, 2018, 10:40:31 AM EDT, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

Jack,

It's unfortunate she had you take down that other antenna.
If it's high enough the neighbors won't even see it, especially on a cloudy day.
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/24965

So, exactly what do you have in the way of a crappy EFHW, and what matching network?
Why is it crappy?
Then I'll know what not to do.

If you want stealth, that's a good way to go.
Some skinny wire, perhaps galvanized steel for strength, and a matchbox on the side of the house
are much harder to see than coax going up to the middle of a dipole.

Jerry

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 06:58 AM, Jack Purdum wrote:
I think everyone here knows that, when working QRP, the antenna system is a HUGE factor in one's success, or lack thereof. The good news: I'm fortunate in one manner, in that I am surrounded by 80' trees on almost 3 acres. The bad news: The XYL will not abide ANY antenna that is visible. She voted this one down:

My antenna situation poses a true dilemma (i.e., two choices, both bad), in that I really enjoy QRP work, but with my crappy EFHW, I really need more power to be effective. So, any time I see an antenna article that might even hint at being stealthy, I'm reading it. Indeed, I would like to see more posts about people who are successfully using their µBITX with stealthy antennas. When JackAl is done, a mag loop and controller are in my future.

Jack, W8TEE