Re: End Fed antennas w/ uBITX #ubitx

Mike aka KC2WVB <rb5363@...>

I can't say I like the tone of some of the comments found in the end-fed antenna threads. I am also reminded of a friend of mine who holds a PHD in electrical engineering who claims most EE's without advanced degrees really don't know anything other than the algorithms they have learned to take on faith and that when things get too difficult what they have taken as gospel is not necessarily the case.

In 500 BC the belief held by the knowledgeable including Plato was that any distance between two points was either an integer value or a ratio of integers. They could not see how it was not as they saw it. Likewise 2+3 does not necessarily equal 5 for depending on the circumstances 2+3 may equal zero. Also for any pair of numbers from a set it is not necessarily true that an order relation exists such that one is less, equal, or greater than the other and I am sure there are those that do not see how that can be but indeed it can be the case. It is when contradictions manifest themselves that do not coincide with cherished beliefs that new understanding is found and rather than sit on one's high horse looking down on those that challenge old ideas the really great thinkers of the ages have found the greater understanding that is waiting if one has courage to look.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018, 2:11 PM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A crappy design that sometimes works is indeed crappy.
But don't confuse that with a crappy copy of a good design.

At any rate, truly figuring out exactly why something is crappy can be time well spend.
The stock uBitx is not top drawer in some respects.
But it has been well worth my time, I've learned a lot.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Gordon Gibby wrote:
Crappy designs are not worth wasting your time on unless you really don’t mind having a lower chance of success—-which is probably just fine for many people! It is well worth THEIR time!!