Re: uBITX HF transceiver and blue MBITX metal case.

Jerry Gaffke

Being a product of the previous millenium myself, I have no problem with equipment that has a UART.
There are variations, but this paragraph on "data framing" is most of what you need to know:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_asynchronous_receiver-transmitter#Data_framing

If you really want to understand USB then be my guest, it can take years:
    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

The solution for punters like me happy to get by with 115.2 kBaud are chips such as the CH340 used
on the Nano, the FTDI chips on the original Arduinos, and the CP2102 from Silicon Labs.
This CP2102 item just works on my Ubuntu box, no drivers needed:
    http://www.oddwires.com/cp2102-serial-adapter-module-usb-to-rs232-with-jumper-wires/
First tie the UART's TX and RX lines together, run a loopback test from the host to prove the USB-to-UART device is working.
If it doesn't magically work, then move on to a different device driver, USB port, USB-to-UART device, host OS, or host computer.
Once you get that going, it's easy enough to get the UART to talk to the microcontroller of your choice.

Given some random USB device, if you happen to have appropriate software for your host computer
then it can just work when you plug in that USB cable.  If it doesn't, good luck.
I'd much prefer to debug a UART connection.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 06:51 AM, Jim Strohm wrote:
In my last field of professional endeavor (product documentation for microcontrollers and industrial equipment) a lot of the "next to new" equipment like endpoint sensors and plasma generators used proprietary, one-off serial interfaces at baud rates from the last millennium.  Documenting them and getting them to work was always a challenge.