Re: PCB Artwork hint

Clark Martin

If impedance, crosstalk, or voltage are not an issue and the spacing meets the criteria specified, no, I don’t think it matters.  Aesthetics (typically) isn’t a design issue in PCBs, at least not for the traces.  All engineering is a trade off.  Routing a trace to be centered would mean (probably) a longer trace, which is a BAD THING albeit a very minor bad thing.

We all have our designing quirks and pet peeves, some are relevant and some are just “because that’s the way to do it”.

Put it this way, how much extra effort would you put in to ensure that EVERY trace is centered between every other trace and to what tolerance?

I’ll keep an eye out for you at the next dinosaur fossil exhibit I go to.  ;)

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jul 23, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Paul Galburt - K2AYZ <galburt@...> wrote:

I just finished checking a fairly complex PCB layout (not Ham related) for a product I am developing. I notice that many places where a trace runs between two pads, it is NOT centered, and therefore the spacing is not optimized. The designers tell me if it passes the design rule distance checks (DRC) in the software (Altium in this case), it's good and no further work is done.

I guess I am an old dinosaur who did a lot of layout in the old days and made sure using eyeballs that every trace (most of which were not "impedance designed") was centered between adjacent non-connected pads.

I am about to be extinct, or does anyone worry about this kind of stuff?