Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

Jim Lommel <wd8rwi@...>

I was completely wrong about there being a download manager for Win 10.  Microsoft has changed to a service model from a subscription model and now you have no control over what updates get installed and what don't get installed other than not be connected to the internet.  My understanding it that this was done so all extant Win 10 installations are the same  instead of there being millions of different installations.

Does anyone else have information about how MS is

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Jim Lommel <wd8rwi@...> wrote:
I would guess that the install went badly.  I think that there is a program called Windows Update manager that you should look at and see ifit will allow you to uninstall the update.  I also think that there is a setting in th Update Manager that you can set to not automatically install updates.

73,

Jim
WD8RWI

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Albert Woodhull <n1aw@...> wrote:
A few days ago my Windows 10 installation got updated, without asking me, of course.  I stepped away from the computer for a while and when
I came back updates were being installed.

I think my USB port drivers were changed.  When I try to run the KD8CEC Memory Manager or to upload a newly compiled  ubitx_20 version
I do not see the COM4 port any more. The Windows Device Manger shows an "Unusable Parallel Port (LPT3) where I previously saw a COM4
Serial Port.

Does anyone know what happened or how to undo it?

- Al N1AW