Re: calibrate v4 ubitx

Arv Evans

As Jerry mentioned, you only have to set the Si5351a calibration once and it will be right on for all
three clk-n outputs.  It might have been easier if the software designers had included PC-interface
for the calibration process.  Since PCs have larger screens it would have been possible to include
more user-friendly prompts and guidance during the calibration process.  But of course this would
take up more space in the Arduino for required text lines, so maybe not enough space for that
level of friendliness.

In my own Raduino code I have included "Serial.begin(9600);" so that whenever needed I can now
include various Serial.Write, Serial.Print, and Serial.readBytes action whenever a PC interface is
needed or desirable.  It is not necessary to do the "if(Serial.available)" test because nothing of a
serial nature happens unless you use a serial interface command.  It is necessary to avoid any
blocking action that would stall progress unless the PC was actually connected.
Once I have performed the PC involved actions I can then disconnect the USB cable and proceed
without the PC connection.

Arv
_._

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 9:15 AM Joel Caulkins <caulktel@...> wrote:
Jerry,

You are right, I did use my calibrated HP 5384A frequency counter to determine the crystal frequency. I had forgot that. I found calibrating the hardest part of building my last uBitx transceiver, it just seems like it should be easier, but what do I know, I'm strictly a hardware man. I'm all for using WWV when the bands are good enough to actually hear it.

Joel
N6ALT