Re: uBITX adjustable power supply?

Ralph Mowery

The few converters like that I have tried are almost like DC transformers if there were such a thing.  not counting for the loss in the circuits, the power used vers the power input is a ratio.  Meaning that (not counting losses) if you put in 12 volts at 2 amps you can get 6 volts out at 4 amps if the device will handle that much current.  Same way with the boost circuits.  Input 12 volts at 2 amps and you can get out 24 volts at only 1 amp, again not counting circuit losses.

de ku4pt

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM, Tom, wb6b <wb6b@...> wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply and links. It makes sense that they would specify the converter current on input current (based on what the switching transistor can handle), as the output voltage is adjustable and the ratio of available output current to input current is therefore variable, and the output current can't be reduced to one value on the spec sheet.

Thanks for the data sheet, good to know the part has the possibility of being electronically switched on and off.

I have some other projects I'll need to spend time on, so likely I'll be able to order a new boost converter and it will be here before I'll need it for the uBITX project. But, my separate supply on each FET is a fun idea and if there is delay in getting a better boost converter, it is my backup plan.

Tom, wb6b