Re: S meter wiring

Ralph Mowery

Most of my settings was just so the s-meter responded like I wanted it to.  I have a service monitor so (if I remember correctly) I set if for 50 u Volts ( the often stated reference to s-9)and started with all the bars but not the + displayed.  That did not give the response I wanted.  I did run the signal level up very high and the most the AVC circuit put out was about 4 volts.  Safely under the 5 volt max of the Arduino.  I think that may  have been where the 217 came from.  That gives the ++ at the end of the bars on my ubitx.

The Arduino takes a signal from 0 to 5 volts max on that pin so the voltage has to be in that range.  I always get the exact number confused but the range has to be from 0 to 255 or 0 to 254 on that input the way the program is written. If you set a number of over 254 or 255 strange things may happen as it over ranges the program parameters.

Feel free to use any numbers from a low of 1 to a high of 254 and just play with them so you get the s-meter to respond to your liking.  I would think everyone would use a different setting due to different antennas.  At the time I was playing with the settings I was on 80 meters with a 1/2 wave dipole up about 50 feet.  I have not taken the time to check out other bands to see how it reacts there .

de ku4pt

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:
So, what I need to do is measure the voltage at J1 on the AGC at very low and high signals and then guess for what is between those two extremes?  How did you come up with a setting of 217 for the high end based on your 4 volt measurement?