Re: Windows Serial Port Problem

Jack Purdum

You can also support the Arduino group through direct contributions on the download site. I encourage everyone to make a contribution each year. See:

If they add a true symbolic debugger, I'll make an extra contribution!

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 12:32:35 PM EDT, Jon Titus, KZ1G <tituskz1g@...> wrote:

The clone boards are counterfeit when they use the "plus-minus infinity" trademark that Arduino.CC owns.  This has nothing to do with open-source.  Anyone can use open-source code, designs, etc.  But when someone steals a company's trademark and uses it on a product of their own, open source or not, they create a counterfeit.  Cheap watches from Hong Kong, marked "Rolex," for example.

Dictionary:  "Counterfeit: made in exact imitation of something valuable or important with the intention to deceive or defraud."  By applying the Arduino trademark, they create a counterfeit.  So someone buys a board with the copied Arduino trademark and thinks it's a genuine Arduino.cc device.  If it fails or has problems, it tarnishes the reputation of Arduino.  Clone manufacturers could avoid the counterfeit label if they simply mark boards "Arduino Compatible."  And not use the Arduino trademark.

Arduino.cc calls such products counterfeit, and that's good enough for me.  I buy genuine Arduino.cc boards and support the group's efforts.  Others can buy and use whatever they want.  'Nuf said.

--
Jon Titus, KZ1G
Herriman, UT USA