Re: ?- How high SWR before smoke? - 6146

Bill Cromwell

Hi Alison,
...Everybody,

I like to have a robust power supply. A homebrewed RF power amp with a 6146 suffered a fractured resistor that removed the grid bias. I heard the plate current meter hit the stop immediately followed by a crinkle sound from the tube and then the fuse blew. There was a melted place in the plate and the screen was *gone*. There was not even a little sigh from the power supply. Yes, tubes can be destroyed from those same things (even it takes more).

73,

Bill KU8H

On 07/06/2018 12:40 PM, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:
--snip---

High "SWR" rarely kills finals its often instability with reactive
loads. Overheating, over
voltage and over current can. Believe it or not those are the same
things that can kill
the venerable 6146!

Allison
--