Re: Just built my ubitx, can't receive anything #ubitx #ubitx-help

Jerry Gaffke

The junky SW receiver assumes you have a junky antenna to go with it,
and so has spent an extra $0.25 on more RF gain.

The uBitx assumes you have a resonant antenna system suitable for transmitting.
If it had as much RF gain as the junky SW receiver, it would badly overload on strong signals
when hooked up to a decent antenna.
Fairly typical of a communications receiver to expect a good antenna.

You could have both, add maybe 20dB more gain around Q10 and also add an RF gain control.
Be careful how you go about it though or you will compromise the noise floor when working with a good antenna.
The uBitx is meant to be a good minimalist rig, if you want to add extra stuff it's up to you.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 11:18 am, <andrew.pater.brown@...> wrote:
I can't imagine that I need 50 feet of antenna to pick up WWV when I used to be able to listen on a junky SW receiver with a 3 foot long antenna. And again, I'm able to pick up transmissions on my Drake TR4 with the same piece of random wire.