Just built my ubitx, can't receive anything #ubitx #ubitx-help

andrew.pater.brown@...

Hi all,

I am super excited to play with this thing, so when I got the kit I immediately built it. It does power up, and I hear what sounds like radio static. If I tune to certain frequencies I can hear tones that change based on frequency selected. However, even just with a random wire (albeit only about 3 feet long in my testing, but the shortwave receivers I had as a kid didn't have much longer) I can't pick up anything recognizable as a voice or CW contact, even stuff like WWV (on 5, 10, 15mhz) or the powerful shortwave stations like brother stair or whatever.

A few notes that I don't think would affect it based on my knowledge, but I'll share anyway in case I'm wrong-

1) I'm using external PC speakers, powered ones - it's just what I have on hand.
2) I'm using a 13.8vdc power supply that I picked up from another HAM a long time ago. It works fine to power 2m band VHF radios and such that are for a mobile application. It's possible it's noisy, but I've located away from it as far as I can.
3) I 3d printed a case for my ubitx and lined it internally with aluminum foil tape to keep the CIA signals out. Er, did I say that? I mean, rather, mitigate some of the RF noise. I have tested inside and outside of this case and there was no noticeable difference, so I don't believe the foil is related.
4) At first I was building and trying it in my basement and hoped I just couldn't get a signal down there. But this morning I tried it upstairs as well, and there was still no signal at all that was recognizable as a voice or CW transmission.
5) I followed the directions on the build page and have gone back through and verified I did everything.

Any ideas what might cause this?

For reference, I learned HF stuff on a Drake TR4 which I receive just fine on with the same random wire. It's not like a full on 1/2 wave dipole of course but I can pick up signals clearly.