Re: Hijacked: C vs C++

Arv Evans

Most old timers have several war stories regarding how things were in the bad old
days before computers and toilets had been invented.  40 years from now today's
youngsters will be telling their own war stories about how bad things were in the
early BITX days.  They too will feel justified in off-topic posts because it is part
of their own history.
_._

On Wed, Jul 4, 2018 at 8:40 PM Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
When I was doing my dissertation research in the late 60's, I too used the 80-column punch cards on an IBM 360. I was doing a lot of stepwise multiple regression, but I remember dropping my cards into the hopper and walking over to the printer just as my output was being spooled out. I finished up my research where I took my first teaching job, which only had an IBM 1130. I was still doing some final runs and dropped my cards into the hopper and walked over to the printer to catch my output.

Nothing...

I told the systems tech that the system crashed and I didn't get my printout. He glanced over at the main console and said: "Everything's fine...it's thinking...

Jack, W8TEE

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018, 5:04:15 PM EDT, gw0div@... via Groups.Io <gw0div=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ah!! The days of the DEC 20/60 and VAX11/740 with IBM 29 card punches!! And the joy of COBOL!

Rhys
GW0DIV