Re: Hijacked: C vs C++

Tom, wb6b

Virtually everything done with the Arduino is C++. Every installable Arduino library is built as a C++ class.

Many of the C++ standard libraries are not included or have been replaced by trimmed down versions. There is no official STL implementation for the Arduino. So, Arduino users are using C++ without issue.

Interestingly the String object library increases the size of a program very little. Pull in the standard C stdio library so one can use sprintf and the compiled code instantly bloats by several K bytes.

Compared to the 8748 processors I used to use in the type of application the Nano is now used in, it is like having a super computer. I did everything in assembly code back then, because even with processors that could be programmed in C, the overhead of C was just too much.

Tom, wb6b