From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lawrence Galea
Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2018 12:28 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] RFI from uBitx TX after AGC and other mods installed

Also try putting a 100n directly across Q1 base-emitter on the AGC board.
It will cut off some of the higher AF as it would be in series with C1 to earth across the Af gain control.
However, this would not be of any serious consequences.
If you don't want as much AF HF cut off you can try a smaller capacitor, say 10n.
I am thinking that Q1 base-emitter junction is acting as a detector and the AF is being coupled back to the AF gain control since the level is varying with the AF Gain control.
One could also add say a 10n capacitor directly on pin 7 of the TDA2822 or across the AF Gain control as an rf decoupling.
Can you try and report?

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 5:33 PM, Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:
Did you put 100n, 10n, 1n filter capacitors  all in parallel on both input and output directly across the 78L05 leads?
.

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Rick Price <rickprice48@...> wrote:
John, Don, others,
Yesterday I attached a 78L05 (TO220) directly to the back of the AGC board that is mounted to the RF gain control on the front panel. Bypassed all power leads and ran a separate power lead to the 12V regulator that powers my uBitx. In other words the AGC board had its own isolated(?) power source. Stll heard the audio when transmitting.  Beginning to think that radiated power is being absorbed by the AGC board and then recitifed and then coupled into the audio system. I also have the pop click board installed and not sure if this was a problem before it was installed. My AGC board is one I fabricated using Don's technique of cutting pcb with an x-acto knife.  I also have a AGC board made on perf board using through hole parts.  May sub that in and see if there are any changes. I eventually plan on installing the JackAl mod when it becomes available so this problem should go away for me but its beginning to become a challenge to fix.

Rick KN4AIE