Re: Went Dead

Ralph Mowery

The V4 board is the latest ubitx circuit board.  It has several modifications to it from the original ubitx circuit board.  One of the main ones is the audio IC was replaced by several transistors as there seems to be a real quality control problem with the original IC.

Mr. Farhan is looking at all the mods that have been made by others and using some of the best of them in the V4 boards.

While the original works very well for the price there have been lots of modifications to it and the software.  I think he did a great job of making the original by keeping the price very low.  While I can not do much with the engineering of the electronics, I have enjoyed making some of the modifications to the ubitx.  I look at this as the way I am at chess.  I know how each piece moves, but when playing with a real chess player I get beat in about 3 moves because I don't know how to hook it all together.

The IRF510 can be mounted by using the insulators.  I don't know much about the IRF510 but the RD16HHF is a 'real' RF device and the specs say it will withstand a SWR of about 20 :1 .  However it is about $ 10 per pair instead of the $ 1 a pair for the IRDF510s.

de ku4pt

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Bill Watkins <kf7yxs@...> wrote:
What’s a V4 board, and since I’ve already ordered the 510,  that will be what I have for awhile.

On Jun 16, 2018, at 14:00, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

The V4 board solves the crossover problem.

The RD16HHF is a device people have used and its a good part but its also 10$ for a pair
from reputable sources.  Apply the mods suggested by the users of that part for best result.

As to mounting the original IRF510 there are insulator kits and silicon based heat transfer
grease that its the time tested solution.

Allison
_