ubitx first power up

KM4TRT

I have my ubit x installed in a nice aluminum case and powered up.  It draws about 89 ma on receive, and receives stations.
but the stations are garbled as if the BFO is off.  Also Transmit only gives about 2 watts
At first the Radino  wasn't working at all but I downloaded Ashaar's original sketch and now all that appears to work properly, and I tried adjusting the BFO
This seemed to improve reception so I could at least understand the folks, but the audio is still horrible.
Is this just more playing with the BFO or is there a filter adjustment I should be looking at? I know there was some talk about the audio chip, but a filter out would also cause weak transmit?
Any comments?