Re: Volume pot question

brad martin

Thanks guys. I’ll probably install it them after I get done painting and shielding the case. I was sure it was a log and went out and tested it and yep it sure was I think it came out to 500 ohm mid range or something. Definitely wasn’t 2.35k.

Brad

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 6:49 PM Nikos SV1IYF <info.mauve@...> wrote:
You should go way-way back, Clark, to find true log rotary potensiometers.
Vacuum tube era, when power amplification was voltage related.
They were also higher value units, typically 47 to 100 KOhms, as far as I remember.
Then came the transistor, a current amplification device.
Using a tube log pot in a transistor circuit was something equivalent to a rollercoaster ride in sound (I know first hand).
Succeded by low impedance linear pots, or dual slope linear ones for closer correlation of angular position to output sound level.
Linear (long) throw faders* was another story until VCAs where established.
(*) Penny & Giles faders were the most expencive part in a pro console.
73 Nikos