Ubitx with the Raspberry pi and WSJT-x #ubitx

Bo Barry <bobarr@...>

Raspberry pi and ubitx FT8 setup   Bo Barry 5/20/18 first draft

NOTE:
The AGC and pop mods are not needed for digital mode. You operate with AGC
off and adjust the audio signal level with the volume control.

The pop isn't noted if you don't have headphones on! :)

USB sound cards don't like the DC on the mic input. Use a 1uf cap.

Remove the orange wire (the PTT line on the mic jack.
The sound card puts audio on it! PTT is not needed for digital)

Enter aplay -l to see if the USB card is device 1 If not, the following is not helpful. :)

If so edit or create the ~/.asoundrc file to look like this.
Note: ~/ means it goes your home directory and the . indicates it is a hidden file.

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}

A reboot is needed for this to take effect.

To get sufficient volume out from the USB sound card I had to install the pimixer program: sudo apt-get install pimixer
Set it up and move the sliders to maximum.

After this I had a clean input signal to the ubitx and the RF output looked good on a scope.

Badly needed is a meter/indication of the audio input level to the mic.

I'm using one of the USB sound cards that has a button and volume control on it.
Be sure to tap the button to turn on its audio output!!!

Be sure to power on the ubitx and connect the USB cable to the ubitx, plus the USB sound card, BEFORE power on the Raspberry pi

Set the rig to Yaesu 817, 38400 baud, 8 data bits, 2 stop bits  no handshake,
CAT Control to /dev/tty/USB0, PTT mode to CAT, USB mode (important), & None

When you select your sound source in WSJT-X, you simply pick the default option. No worry with all the options.
Check the audio ports. They should be sysdefaultCARD=Device

You can get the WSJT-X program for the Raspberry pi at https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

Let me know if you find this helpful!!   Bo W4GHV