Re: How to find your HEX file after a compile?

Jack Purdum

I've had several people ask me about this since I mentioned it several days ago. To find your compiled hex file:

1. Go to your Preferences settings (File --> Preferences) and check "Set verbose output during" and check "compilation"
2. Compile the program. Do not upload as that erases all temporary files, including the hex file. In other words, just click on the
    check mark icon that appears below the File menu option.
3. Scroll down the long list of output your compile generated until you see: "Linking everything together..." followed by a series of
    lines with path and file names. The hex file for you program will be one of them. Just use that path name to find the hex file.

While you're there, use a text editor to open the *.lst file. It shows a blending of C and assembler generated by the compiler. It's an interesting way to find if one way of writing a piece of code is "better" (i.e., faster execution, or perhaps using less memory) than an alternative way.

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, May 14, 2018, 4:00:29 PM EDT, Dennis <dennis@...> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I'm not a programmer any more and would certainly like to learn how to "find the hex file", "generate the hex file" and "learn a little bit about programming for a Nano in the Arduino IDE".

Perhaps you can recommend or provide a limited tutorial on these points. I would personally be grateful.

73, Dennis
W7DRW

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 10:26 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
This approach still does not get around the problems "for people who do not know what we are talking about!" To me, if you can't be bothered to learn how to download, install, and recompile a program, then you probably shouldn't be messing around with the code. While your app might do away with that element of the problem, they will still have to use a hex loaders, connect to the Nano, and run the app. My guess is, 95% of the people don't know where that hex file is located. If your app, running under the multiple platforms of Windows, Linux, and MacOS, can run the custom install menu system, fork to the compiler, make the changes and generate the hex file, and then download that hex file to the Nano, that would be a great app to have! In the absence of that, users who wish to customize the software are probably going to have to learn a little bit about programming for a Nano in the Arduino IDE.

Jack, W8TEE