Re: an open message to those unhappy with the volume of messages #off_topic

MAX <max@...>

The first computer I programmed and saw was the IBM 709 that belonged to the university of Florida.  5000 12AU7s.  IBM didn’t sell computers in those days but they sold this one to U of F.  The prof who taught the course told us that the computer was obsolete before it was sold.  Also the fact that IBM was selling it rather than renting should have been a tipoff to something not being right. 

The first computer that I owned was a Heathkit H8.  Tape cassette storage at first and finally a disk drive and a DOS called H-DOS.  It was looked down upon by proponents of CP-M but it was better.  Hdos was stable and came with an assembler.  It was easy to program with syscalls.  Eventually  Heath made a special ROM for the CPU board that would allow CP-M to run.  I ran it for a while and wondered what all the shouting was about.  I soon went back to HDOS and ran it until 8 bit computers were totally out of date and obsolete. 

Regards.

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of William Kimber
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 6:35 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] an open message to those unhappy with the volume of messages #off_topic

My first sight of a computer was a Leo.  I think Leo II, every 3 months (? IIRC) they just changed all the valves.  About 10 feet long L shaped  couple of feet thick and four feet high.

It used mercury delay line memory!!!   Pre-core memory. Lots of big tape drives.

There was also a Ferranti there as well but it was transistorised,  only about the size of large suitcase but more powerful.  The Leo's were specifically designed for a small number of repetitive tasks.

On 11/05/18 03:02, Kees T wrote:

I spent many hours watching the IBM ladies from New York restringing cores on core memory planes at NASA and punched some new TROS tapes myself.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.