Re: Antenna

Kelly Jack

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 05:51 pm, Jerry Gaffke wrote:
I sat through the 8:17 minute April 1 2016 Steve Ellington video on the myantennas EFHW-8010.
Wow, now I remember why I mostly avoid youtube, maybe 10 seconds worth of  information in all of that.
Anyways,he has the matchbox about 5' up in the air, the wire then goes
straight up to 55 feet and then over, and he was planning to rip out his other antenna to make room
for a second EFHW-8010 so he could swap patterns.  Which is to say that he likes it.
Oh, and on long 80m CW transmit sessions at 500 Watts he sees his SWR creep up suggesting
the transformer was maybe overheating, not an issue on the other bands.
And he's very fond of LMR-600 coax.

Maybe Simon could give us an executive summary on his other dozen or so videos,
especially the one that's an hour and a quarter long.
Did Steve E. ever manage to build something he liked better than the EFHW-8010?
What's a good video to start with for somebody wanting to build one from scratch?
Any tidbits not typically found in other material on EFHW's?

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 04:50 pm, Kelly Jack wrote:
There is a youtube channel by a ham called Steve Ellington that looks at various aspects of the efhw including construction and the myantennas version. Search "EFHW" and the channel came up in a number of the results.

 Jerry,

Re youtube videos- I agree the information rate can be low. One thing I usually do is speed up the playback rate to increase this and save time. Also some skipping through the intro to get to the meat. Some utubers are worse than others at getting to the point and some just talk slow.

Of Steve's videos the ones I found most interesting / useful were the one on winding the toroids, the one experimenting with grounding options and a more recent one where he discusses using a different ferrite mix to handle more power. The titles of the videos should point people in the right direction.

No idea if Steve has found something better but I see he still seems to be experimenting with it as a new video went up a couple of days ago.

I'll try to watch the long one again shortly as given it was a presentation he gave and only a month old I presume it contains most of what the other videos have.

Regards

Simon VK3ELH