Re: Please don't make Radiuno with CH340/CH341 chipsets any more! Or at least advertise that you do use them! #radiuno

K9HZ <bill@...>

Good reason to keep a $50 windows laptop around I guess…

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jack Purdum via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 10:47 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Please don't make Radiuno with CH340/CH341 chipsets any more! Or at least advertise that you do use them! #radiuno

They are very high maintenance if they work at all...on a Mac.

There...fixed.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, April 28, 2018, 11:37:43 PM EDT, ab2ts <sciascia@...> wrote:

OK... this fixed it...  Talk about Monkey Wrenches in the machinery.

1)  I deleted the latest version (v1.4) of the Chinese ch341 driver
2)  Restarted
3)  Purchased and installed the mac-usb-serial.com ch341 driver for OS X 10.12
4)  Restarted, debugged and tested for several hours per the mac-usb-serial.com instructions.
5)  As a last hail Mary, I set the options under the Arduino Tools Menu to - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader)
6)  It worked!  I set the Arduino Preferences to Show verbose output during upload.
7)  Restarted and tried again.   It still worked.  

It is interesting that I do not have to select  - Processor:  Atmega328P (Old Bootloader) on my old MacBookPro to get a good upload.

This is only a temporary fix.   There is an entirely different mac-usb-serial.com driver already released for OS X 10.13.  When I upgrade to 10.13 the current driver will need to be removed and the new one installed.  I expect everything to break again for other future OS updates.

I am still avoiding CH34x chipsets like the plague.   They are very high maintenance if they work at all.   So please no more products with CH34x chipsets!   Mac users everywhere will thank you.  

Thanks to 
Andrew​ VK6WAM   for the link to mac-usb-serial.com.

AB2TS

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.