Re: mono band 2 meters rig based on the micro BITx circuit #ubitx #2meters

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>

I think it would be a great project. In the ‘60s I built a solid state 2M transverter and it only had 100mW output but I worked 500 miles regularly with my little Skelton slot antenna. A sad story that another Ham stole my 100W Motorola rig I was going to turn into a linear amplifier but a couple of hand held 2M SSB rigs would be a blast.

I did build two 2M AM handhelds using the basic concept of the CQ Ham Tip rig (Superregen IF) and common audio for both RX/TX but with transistors (6 if I remember correctly). They were great for playing with VHF/UHF antennas while I waited for the opportunity to take the train to Customs House in San Francisco to take my General exam.

Dave WI6R ex-WB6BDA

On Apr 26, 2018, at 6:13 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:

I wouldn't even care about AM. AM operation greatly increases the
complexity of thermal design. SSB would be all I would want -
especially with a good receiver!

tim ab0wr

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:00:38 -0500
"Ken Hansen" <ken@...> wrote:

I understand the motivation, but the Chinese are mass-producing dual
band HTs for less than $30 delivered to your door, and the Japanese
are producing higher-quality units starting at about $120, how much
of a premium over these off-the-shelf solutions are you willing to
pay to build your own VHF radio? Are you hoping for SSB operation or
FM?

Personally, I'd love to see an extremely simple version of the old
Heathkit Two'er lunchbox that handles either SSB or AM on 2 Meters
for under $40 all-in, as a fun club build, but I suspect I'm alone on
that desire...

I think it would be fun to have a local net based on low-cost radios
and antennas so small no HOA could object to.

Ken, N2VIP

On Apr 26, 2018, at 3:44 PM, freefuel@... wrote:

my attention has turned to building a single band rig for 2 meters
and I am curious who might also be interested in such a device. my
initial plan is to build the main circuit board the identical size
of the uBITX and later reduce it to within the confines of the
common 20 by 4 line LCD character display. in an attempt to build
this as a Handi Talkie rig.

-Justin N2TOH