Re: mono band 2 meters rig based on the micro BITx circuit #ubitx #2meters

Ken Hansen

I understand the motivation, but the Chinese are mass-producing dual band HTs for less than $30 delivered to your door, and the Japanese are producing higher-quality units starting at about $120, how much of a premium over these off-the-shelf solutions are you willing to pay to build your own VHF radio? Are you hoping for SSB operation or FM?

Personally, I'd love to see an extremely simple version of the old Heathkit Two'er lunchbox that handles either SSB or AM on 2 Meters for under $40 all-in, as a fun club build, but I suspect I'm alone on that desire...

I think it would be fun to have a local net based on low-cost radios and antennas so small no HOA could object to.

Ken, N2VIP

On Apr 26, 2018, at 3:44 PM, freefuel@... wrote:

my attention has turned to building a single band rig for 2 meters and I am curious who might also be interested in such a device.  my initial plan is to build the main circuit board the identical size of the uBITX and later reduce it to within the confines of the common 20 by 4 line LCD character display.  in an attempt to build this as a Handi Talkie rig.

-Justin N2TOH