Re: Teensy 3.5/3.6 upgrade for uBITX

Jack, W8TEE

I see the complexity and cost growing exponentially. That's fine but I really don't see the uBIT-X as suited for going in that direction.

It depends.  If you can fabricate a transceiver that competes with a rig costing 3x as much, why not? If your interest is hacking and DSP, why not? If you are trying to improve a rig with new/better features, why not? If you can have something that's better than, say an RS-918 at half the price, why not? Have you noticed how many people are standing on Farhan's shoulders and making his work even better? Also, an exponential cost function is probably not the case for most of the experiments that are going on right now. Look at the improvements Ian Lee has developed with almost no cost to the user. A lot of us are trying to convince the Techs with an HT and complaints that 2M offers nothing that their cell phone can't do to upgrade to General with an HF rig with reasonable power, features, and frequency agility. A lot of us are just working to move the tipping point for a lot of sideline people and if one of these new features pushes them over the edge...why not?

That's the real genius that Farhan brought to the table: A rig that has the potential to make a lot of people sit up and take notice.

Jack, W8TEE

On Monday, April 23, 2018, 7:33:17 PM EDT, Kees T <windy10605@...> wrote:

To continue a little further.....I see those who are interested in DSP and other number crunching applications will require a RPi, Teensy 3.5/3.6, or STM32F4xx/STM32F7xxx microcontrollers for standalone operation or as computer frontends. As a result, I see the complexity and cost growing exponentially. That's fine but I really don't see the uBIT-X as suited for going in that direction.

As Farahan said:  The µBITX circuit design is simple enough to fit a single page. It’s simplicity encourages you to modify, change and experiment (but keep it simple)......The µBITX aims to fulfill such a need. It is a compact, single board design that covers the entire HF range with a few minor trade-offs.

73 Kees K5BCQ