Re: receiver overload

John Sharpe

Thanks for all the ideas and interesting comments.

I think you are right Tim, the tuner is acting as a filter.

I don’t think I had the problem with a previous antenna - a standard 40m dipole fed with coax.
Maybe the window line to the ZS6BKW is picking up too much noise.

I’ll reinstall that dipole antenna and test again when I get time.

John VK2VOL

On 22 Apr 2018, at 7:13 am, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:

That's always a possibility.

Some tuners also can act as low-pass filters or even as a parallel tuned
circuit, i.e. a bandpass filter. If the dominating noise contribution
is from a frequency-limited source such as a man-made source both could
work to lower the noise in the receiver. But I don't think this happens
very often.

tim ab0wr

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:10:29 -0400
"Joe Puma" <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

I heard that when you use an antenna tuner you actually raise the
noise floor. 🤷🏻‍♂️I understand why but never heard it getting rid of
noise. Maybe the tuner provided a better ground then what you had so
yea maybe it made it seem like it reduced noise if your antenna
system is inadequate.

Joe