Re: RTL SDR

Doug W

I have the same dongle and am happy with it.  You can order it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined/dp/B0129EBDS2 for the same price with prime shipping to boot.  I did experiment with direct sampling but in the end broke down and bought an upconverter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LQT3G6 and later the enclosure.  It is not lost on me that all of that costs about the same as a BITX40 and by the time you throw in random connectors and what not about the same as a µBITX.  I have not tried connecting it to a Pi but using an otg adapter I have used it with an old android phone.  I haven't used it on the phone in a while but I seem to remember using the free version of SDR Touch.  Prior to having a real antenna I was using this balun https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R09WHT6 and random wire with limited success and a few cheap telescoping whip antennas.
I just did a quick search and as usual Adafruit has a solid tutorial on with links to libraries https://learn.adafruit.com/freq-show-raspberry-pi-rtl-sdr-scanner?view=all
For general ideas and knowledge you can't beat https://www.rtl-sdr.com/