Re: RTL SDR

Jerry Gaffke

Very cool, I haven't played with those RTL dongles for a few years now.
May have to try this one out.
A bit scary though, as the website is not well organized.
For example, they sell an optional dipole wire antenna with coax for use with this thing,
but never give any indication of how long it is.

That buy page you pointed to has no real information about what the heck you are getting,
here's a somewhat more informative page with pointers to a datasheet and user's guide:
    https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

Digging around some I find out they mostly assume you are running SDR# software.
If I get one, would like to box it up with a little RasberryPi.
Ideally figure out how to make it work with a cheap LCD display instead
of having a $100 hdmi monitor showing the waterfall.

All these RTL-SDR dongles have 8 bit ADC's.  Really amazing to me that you can suck in
the entire radio spectrum without front end filters, send it straight to 8 bit ADC's.
and still do a reasonable job of resolving over a ghz worth of individual stations.
The SDR-Play has 12 bit ADC's, the SoftRock guys feel they need filters for each
HF band and prefer a 24 bit sound card.  Would be interesting to compare results.

These v3 guys have an "Experimental: HF Direct Sampling Mode" to receive frequencies
from 500khz to 28.8mhz.  The basic RTL-SDR chips are good from 24mhz to 1.766ghz,
and were originally intended for European DVB-T digital TV reception.

I've been out of the loop on these, please correct any errors in what I report above.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:12 am, Joe Puma wrote:
I would go with the rtl-SDR.com v3 dongle. I use it with my Yaesu FT-840. And I have about 4 others that make up my radio farm.  To me it’s the best design of the dongle type SDR’s no need to get the more expensive SDR’s like LimeSDR or SDRplay