Re: KD8CEC 1.061 firmware functionality

Ian Lee

Bob. Rod
I am always thanking Rod.

 c1:  What is the function of the 'Band Count' text box?  Is it necessary that it be filled in.
  Even if you enter a lot of values in the Band List, uBITX uses only the number that is input in Band Count.
  If Band Count is 5 even though 1 ~ 10 are input, only 1 ~ 5 will be used.
  This is because the number of ham bands allowed by country is different.

 c2.  I put the CB band frequencies in Band 10, but it does NOT appear on the uBITX list of bands under Band Select option of the function button.  All other specified bands do show up on the uBITX list of bands to be selected from.  Why?
  If Band Count is set to 10, it should appear normally. The change of the Ham band is loaded normally when uBITX is rebooted.

 If it does not work, send me your uBITX backup file. I'll review it.
 Your uBITX configuration backup can be saved as a file using the backup function of uBITX Manager.

 'Always display Callsign' should or should not work.
  I will implement S.Meter related work in this beta version.
  Perhaps S.Meter will only work if you check the use of S.Meter.
  I'm worried about where to put S.Meter on the 16x02 LCD.

1.  What is supposed to be stored in the 'Master', 'LSB', 'USB', and 'CWL/U' calibration text boxes of the Memory Manager?
Never modify this place without backup.

Your uBITX have been perfectly tuned when shipped from the factory.
This is where Calibration of the radio is concerned. This place is quite sensitive.
Use the backup function of uBITX Manager to backup your uBITX file and modify the calibration.
Find other articles about Calibration.

2.  What is the purpose/function of the VFO A / VFO B Section.  There are text boxes for entering VFO A and B frequencies and Modes, but they do not appear to affect what is displayed on the uBITX, which boots up to the last values used when turned on.  Also, most text boxes for frequency entry on the Memory Manager specify whether data is to be entered in kHz or Hz, but these two VFO A and VFO B frequencies do not specify the units. How is this section supposed to be used?
It only shows the value stored in memory to the user. Modifying this will not have a significant impact on uBITX.
You do not need to enter a value here.

3.  What is the function of the CW ADC Ranges in the Memory Manager?  What does ADC stand for and what are the units of the ranges?

I posted about this part in my blog with photos and videos.

4.  What is the function of the Memory Key section?  Is it functional?  I am particularly interested in the purpose of the 'Tune TX Type' which appears to attempt to define receiving and transmitting behavior, in and/or out of ham bands?

The memory keyer that automatically transfers CW is implemented in uBITX by software.
This will be useful for CW communication.
Some users use this function as a CW Reverse beacon.
'Tune TX Type' is for countries that prohibit the use of frequencies other than ham bands.

5.  In the 'Band Count' area of Memory Manager,

     5a.  what is the function of the 'Auto Integration' buttons for 1, 2, & 3.  Are these defining the legal ham bands for different regions of the world?
     5b.  what is the purpose of the 'Band Count' in Memory Manager and how does it affect the Band options shown when using the Band Select option of the uBITX function button.
5a: correct

The user will have difficulty entering all the band areas.
So I put the band region for Region 1, 2, and 3 on the uBITX Manager.
When you press the '1' button, your uBITX sets the default band for Region 1.
The same is true for '2' and '3'.

5b : I wrote the answer above.

6.  What is the function / effect of putting values in the 'Saved Band Freq' section of the Memory Manager?  What does it affect in the operation of the uBITX?

Users do not need to enter here either.
Whenever you change bands in uBITX, uBITX stores the frequency you are using by band.
(Like common commercial radios)

7.  What is not yet functional in the 'User Interface' section of the Memory Manager in terms of having any effect on uBITX functionality?

Probably only S.Meter.
S.Meter is also supported by 1.08 (version after this beta version).

8.  In the WSPR Configuration section of the Memory Manager,

     8a.  The X-TAL text box shows 25,000,000 (without the commas I've typed in for clarity).  Does this ever need to be changed?  If so, to what?  How determine X-TAL value?
     8b.  Like all other 'Calibration' values in the Memory Manager this one shows '0' but has guidance to 'Correct the calibration value according to the WSPR result  ex) 147000,  145000'.  What does this guidance mean?  What is a WSPR result and where is this value provided?

8a : That's a really good question.
  You do not need to change anything.
But if you changed uBITX or made DIY, if you changed SI5351 control to 27Mhz, you need to change it to 27000000.
Users who use 27Mhz have already received feedback that WSPR was successful.

In other words, you do not need to modify uBITX if you purchased it through HFSignal.

8b : WSPR uses a frequency variation of 1.46 Hz to transmit the signal.
WSPR requires relatively accurate calibration.
uBITX is fully calibrated when shipped from the factory. So when you transmit WSPR, you will generate the frequency by using Master Calbration value as it is.
However, if you want to create a WSPR with a slightly different calibration value than the Master Calibration value, you can modify this part slightly.
This does not affect uBITX Calibration. Used for sending WSPR messages only.

If your uBITX's calibration is normal, you do not need to modify this part.

Ian KD8CEC

Rod, et al.,
     I am running the CEC FW v 1.061 and using Memory Manager v1.01 and I have several questions.
Features that seem to work well include:
a.  VFO A and B and their modes being set from Memory Manager and easily controllable from the function button of the uBITX
b.  Tuning steps being established by Memory Manager and changeable from the medium duration function button push of the uBITX
c.  The ability to establish, save and see bands in the uBITX that were defined in the Memory Manager.  That said. two things are not very clear in this area:
     c1:  What is the function of the 'Band Count' text box?  Is it necessary that it be filled in.
     c2.  I put the CB band frequencies in Band 10, but it does NOT appear on the uBITX list of bands under Band Select option of the function button.  All other specified bands do show up on the uBITX list of bands to be selected from.  Why?
d.  Under 'User Interface' of the Memory Manager, checking or unchecking the '1/2 Line Toggle' works to change the 1st/2nd line display on the uBITX.  'S Meter' and 'Always display Callsign' do NOT appear to have any effect on uBITX operations.  I have found some older references by Ian Lee that the 'S Meter' is pending but nothing to indicate whether the 'Always display Callsign' should or should not work.  Other features in this section not yet tested by me.
e. User Channel Configuration in Memory Manager does result in these options being available under the list of 'Channel to VFO' in the uBITX.  Very nice feature, especially for the 10 channels with the labels
f.  'WSPR - Configuration' in Memory Manager successfully results in at least one WSPR message option from the 'WSPR Beacon' option of the uBITX function button.

HOWVEVER, there as several things that either don't work, or which I have not yet cracked to code on how to make work.
[...]

I love these features but feel confused and unsure of myself in the absence of answers to the above questions.

Respectfully,
Bob Goodwin , N4HCI

--
Best 73