Re: uBitx just started transmitting a loud hum #ubitx-help

Skip Davis

Yes James I read one of your other post where you removed the electret element and the hum went away. Before I read that I was going to suggest that you measure from the element housing (metal part of element) to ground for continuity, but a new electret element should solve you hum problem.

Good luck & let us know how it works,
Skip Davis, NC9O

On Apr 11, 2018, at 16:47, James <james.manion@...> wrote:

Skip,
The mic cable was shielded.
I was using the electret that came with the ubitx, and the momentary switch in a custom 3d printed housing (no shielding in the housing) but the longest run of un shielded mic cable is approx 4cm from the audio plug to my jack on the front panel of the case.

As I said, I think the actual electret element failed, as the hum has gone completely when I de-soldered the element and just left bare wires instead.
I'll pick up another electret hopefully in the next 24 hours and see if that solves the problem when transmitting.

Cheers,
James