Re: AGC circuit to try?

Tim Gorman

So you think the BAP64 would be better placed before the audio pre-amp
rather than in the IF? Before C50 maybe?

tim ab0wr

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 09:23:34 -0700
"Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io" <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yup.
Getting AGC right however you do it is not trivial.
And not something I am able to fully analyze.
For example, Henning Weddig pointed out some time ago that
delays through the crystal filter can cause instability when you
close the loop.

He also pointed out that it is our audio pre-amp that limits the
total dynamic range of the rig, and thus an attenuator prior to
that pre-amp is preferred if you might be dealing with really strong
signals.

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 09:10 am, Sandy T wrote:

At least the BAP64Q at Q70 would only cost $0.56 but proper biasing
to work "as expected AGC" might be a trick.