Re: Arduino For Idiots?

Fred Buecker

Funny story, I actually ordered two copies on Jack's book. When they arrived, my 10yo daughter said "Yay! You got one for me too!"

So much for selling that extra copy! LOL!

-Fred
KC3HMS

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018, 12:42 PM Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My point is, for some young person thinking about a career in electronics,
the Arduino environment is not a bad place to start.
It encourages exploring the interface between a computer and external hardware.
It's possible for the inquisitive to completely figure out what's going on down to nand gates.
And learning C is not time wasted.

That said, at some point they should move on to a more professional programming environment, as you suggest.
I'd recommend installing some flavor of Ubuntu on an old machine, and explore the many different
programming languages available for free.  Me, I'm happiest with vanilla C and/or Python.

Start a new programmer out in the typical Java programming environment
and they may just give up, figuring it's turtles all the way down.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtles_all_the_way_down

For me, it was when I moved from submitting Fortran card decks to the computing center
and started writing assembly code for a little PDP8 that I really got excited about
programming and computer architecture.  I could finally understand what a computer *is*.

Jerry

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 09:10 am, James Lynes wrote:
Jerry:

"The Arduino environment is not a bad choice if wishing to start on the path
toward becoming a hardware or software engineer."

I'm torn on this....necessary but not sufficient....