Re: uBITX BAT54SL: diode ring mixer direction question

Tim Gorman

Michael,

I got used to using a prototype board called a Surfboard. There are
many different arrangements of pads. While expensive on a per-unit
basis it works for me. You still have to cut traces to make pads for
things like smd transistors and jfets and to provide isolated pads for
components but you don't have to do it for the whole circuit board. I
just layout how I'm going to do it on a piece of paper and then work on
the board.

I have never heard of a burin. I've always just used a hobby knife and
while it works its hard to get straight cuts and to then clean out
between the cuts.

What brand of burin do you use? Do they make one that would useful to
remove the trace between cuts?

I see this set on ebay, would they work?
www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-2-35mm-Engraving-Bit-Burin-Graver-Pit-Olive-Ivory-Carving-Tool/173093922415?epid=8015978400&hash=item284d33a66f:g:IRcAAOSw-JJaWOOx

We are probably a little different in age. I keep my notes in engineers
notebooks, the kind that have graph paper on every page. A carryover
from my Chemistry/Physics/EE training in the late 60's and early 70's.
I like flipping through the pages.

Good luck in whatever you create!

tim ab0wr

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 08:08:07 -0700
"Michael LeBlanc" <@VE1LEB> wrote:

Thanks Tim and Raj. I'll go ahead and wire things up now that I know.
Once I get the mixer soldered-up, I'll check it with my signal
generator and scope.

By the way, I do keep a journal: I scan most of my pencil sketches
and drawings and save them in Evernote ( https://evernote.com/ ). I'm
using SMD components; my layout drawings are made with Adobe
Illustrator and hand-cutting pads and traces on a PCB using an
engraver's burin ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burin_(engraving)
) acquired many years ago through my fine art degree. "Come up and
see my etchings!" ;-) I hope to document this process once I get a
little further along.

At any rate, this technique is very time-consuming at the front-end
of the development cycle. It requires several layers of
error-checking, and if I do it properly, it results in a
perfectly-working circuit at initial power-up.

-Michael VE1LEB