Re: RD16HHF1 power curve flattening...some

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

I'm VERY impressed and interested in the ability to have up to 20W for these reasons:

1)  I see this as a way to entice many local ARES club members into moving into HF from their exile in VHF-only land....20 watts  possibility is quite useful.

2)  I do mostly digital, so I set the power level by adjusting the TX GAIN on the Signalink (or more likelly, on the homebrew interface I soldered together)​ -- so I can easily set it at a modest 10W if the rig itself can produce up to 20....with the higher duty cycle, this is prudent.

3)  I'd like to get folks locally into an 80 meter training net, and having a rig that can handle up to 20 watts SSB peaks (with its low duty cycle) at this price level is very attractive.   I can honestly tell them they will be doing 8-10 W out from the beginninng on the lower bands, and that they can double that if they wish with a bit of soldering work.

Many of these people learned how to solder only within the last year (from me) and building gas discharge tube lightning arrestors last weekend is the proper level of challenge for them!!!

Cheers,

gordon

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 11:41 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] RD16HHF1 power curve flattening...some

How much power should we put out? It is really your call. I personally prefer 10 watts. There are multiple reasons. First, between 10 watts and 20 watts, the other side will feel almost no difference. Second, at 10 watts, I can still you batteries. Third, the heatsink is managable. Fourth, I am technically in QRP land.

- f

On Sunday 01 April 2018 09:03 AM, Nik VK4PLN wrote:
Hi John,
BN42-202, but a 2:4 ratio winding giving 1:4 transformation. Runs cool at 20+w with 330pf Mica cap. 220ohm feedback resistor.
Listening on 14.277 ?
73 Nick

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.