Re: Newest addition to the shack!

Tim Gorman

You sound like one busy guy!

I too am going to order a second one to experiment with. This one seems
to be working well right now and I hate to mess with it very much. I
have checked into the morning Badger WX net and the KS WX net and both
said it sounds fine -- just a bit weak!

tim ab0wr

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:46:02 -0700
"Nelson" <ngtdlt@...> wrote:

Howdy Tim,

An S-38A to be exact. It is one of two I have. I like to use it for
SWL. The other one is waiting to be brought back to life along with
way too many other old radios in my shop. Up next is a Central
Electronic CE-10 and 458 VFO I got at a Hamfest in Puyallup a week or
so ago. I have one in the equipment rack but the new one does not
have a scratch on it. But right now the uBITX is front and center.
I am thinking of getting another just to experiment with.

Nelson
KG7GYS

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:

Nice! I like your boat anchor gear. Is that an old S-38 I see?

tim ab0wr

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 16:53:46 -0700
"Nelson" <ngtdlt@...> wrote:

I got my uBITx wired up today and powered it up this afternoon.
Not much on the air but I did go out to my jeep and fired up my
Yaesu FT-817ND on 10 meter and had my wife listen down in the
shack. She said it hurt her ears it was so loud (I had the AF
Gain up all the way) but other than that it worked fine.

Now I just need to get the microphone wired up and/or a key wired
up so I can test the transmitter portion. For the key I think I
will just make an adapter from the 1/4" mono plug I use on my
other rigs. The mic I will use is a mic that I use with my
Baofeng UV-5. I will modify the plugs to be separate plugs for
the mic and external speaker. I just need to get a couple of the
appropriate size jacks. Dang I wish Radio Shack still had a store
in town. As it is, I will need to mail order the plugs for the
mic external speaker and key. In the mean time I will spend some
time surfing the bands and listening on it :-)

Attached is a picture of it in the shack.
Nelson
KG7GYS