Re: New for pi-day, the Rasberry Pi 3 B+

Jerry Gaffke

The 8 bit Atmel processors are 20 or 30 years out of date, but a big community of users to get help from.
The $2 Blue Pill ARM STM32F103's seems the current best bang/buck.
But something small and stupid is a very good place to start if you really want to know what a computer is.
As I mentioned in my previous post, the  AVR Core section of the ATMega640 datasheet is about 6 pages long.
Figuring out an ARM would be somewhat more difficult.

The Asus Tinkerboard could be interesting to folks here as an alternative to the RPi's for standalone digital.
Though most of my projects don't need that much processing power.
And many are just fine with an 8 bit ATMega.

The RPi-zero might be a good choice for a standalone rig with digital modes.
A brief google search suggests it can be throttled back to well under 100ma,
making it less than the uBitx receiver and thus perhaps good enough.
    https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/raspberry-pi-zero-power
That supply current will rise considerably when you give it a job doing FFT's.
Far less processing power than a Tinkerboard, but less battery power too.
Oh, and $5.

Good time to be a geek.
I remember back in the late 70's, trying to build a Z80 system from scratch.
Never got completed.
Minimalist kits were $1k+ in 1978 dollars, and considerably less powerful than these ATMega's.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 09:07 am, ajparent1 wrote:
For performance the Asus Tinkerboard has it seriously beat.  Not only faster 1800mhz but twice the ram 2gb.
All the sam IO and hardware still there and same form factor so it fits in the same places.

I know this as I have both RPI 3B and Tinkerboards.

The problem is faster currently means more power needed.

Allison