Re: #uBITX Firmware KD8CEC - IF-Shift etc. #ubitx

Jerry Gaffke

Yes, the tone of the CW signal should not change if IF-Shift (and/or BFO-Adjust,
whatever you want to call it) is implemented correctly by changing both
the BFO and the VFO as mentioned in post 44182.

The original uBitx code implemented BFO-Adjust by only moving the BFO,
so the CW tone did change, and SSB speech becomes unnatural/unintelligible.
I have no idea what the various new versions of the code do these days.

Moving clk1 as somebody suggested a few posts back won't work,
we must adjust the 12mhz BFO (equal to the incoming suppressed carrier)
relative to the 12mhz filter passband.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 07:37 am, Tim Gorman wrote:
If you are listening to a CW signal then moving the IF Shift doesn't
change the tone of the CW signal at all. You are just moving the
passband. That can change the sound of a SSB signal because you are
removing some of the received audio along with the interfering signal.
Just like cutting the highs or lows with a treble/bass tone control.