Re: Endian issues...final chapter

Michael Hagen

If Push comes to Stack, who wins Big Injun or Little Injun?

On 3/10/2018 10:48 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
We agree that  "Endianness is a problem when a binary file created on a computer is read on another computer with different endianness."

Where we seem to disagree is that I am convinced this code will always prints a value of "4"
regardless of whether the machine is big or little endian:

  long data32;    int  data8;
  data32 = 0x04030201;
  data8 = data32>>24;
  printf("%d \n", data8);

From this, we can create the endian agnostic code at the top of post 44018.
Arv is correct, this is not something most of you need to worry about.
I'm totally done here.
Unless you want to talk about Gulliver's Travels.

Jerry

--
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street